Arrival & Departure Point: Thiruvananthapuram & Kochi (India)
Destinations Covered: Kollam–Alappuzha–Kochi (Houseboat Cruise)
Highlights: This is the best and most comprehensive experience to the delights of Kerala’s backwaters as one passes through lakes, Palm fringed canals & water-bound villages…A three days’ hideaway from the hustle & bustle with delicious transitional Kerala cuisines.
Duration: 2 nights & 3 days
Embarkation time & place: 12 Pm, Thanneermukkam Bund
Disembarkation time & place: 9 Am, Alumkadau (Near Matha Amruthanandamayi Ashram)
Day 1, 2 & 3: Kollam to Kochi by Houseboat Cruise
Arrival at Trivandrum airport/Railway station Transfer to Kollam/Quilon an old sea port and town on the Arabian coast in Kerala on Ashtamudi Lake. Check in to houseboat, start your sailing with a welcome drink of tender coconut & sink yourself in to a new world of serenity. Cruise the palm-fringed backwaters of Kerala on board a private Houseboat (Kettuvallam), a traditional thatched boat typical to Kerala. These houseboats have been plying the Kerala waterways for centuries, connecting villages along the backwaters and transporting rice, spices and other goods for export from Kochi when there were no modern roads & motor vehicles. And you are sailing the same waterways once used for goods transports and export from Kochi.
As you cruise along, witness the life on the backwater villages of Kerala. Cruise down the narrow canals dotted with houses, market places, paddy fields, coconut trees, churches & temples, antique mansions. See the varieties of activities inland water village people are engaged in such as traditional fishing & coir making, toddy tapping, washing clothes and other daily activities. And savour the mouthwatering Kerala dishes such as Karimeen Curry & fry, Avial, Thoran, Mezhukkupiratty, Pappadam, Cocnut curry, boiled brown rice, Puttu, Appam, Payasam etc.
Available cuisines served on board are:
- Tender coconuts,
- Appam (White rice bread)
- Puttu (Steam Cake)
- Idi Appam (White rice noodles cake)
- Boiled brown rice
- Sambar (a mix of boiled vegetables made like a vegetable stew)
- Avial (thick mixture of vegetables and coconut scrapes seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves)
- Thoran (light fried vegetables and coconut scrapes seasoned with coconut oil)
- Vegetable Mezhukkupuratti (light fried vegetable curry)
- Rasam ( A light stew made of Tomato, Tamarind, Black Pepper, Asafoteida etc seasoned with coconut oil)
- Fish Curry & fry (The backwater fish used is Karimeen or Black pearl spot)
- Chicken dishes
- Pickle & Curd
- Pappad (South Indian wafer)
- Payasam (rice pudding mixed & flavored with cardamom, raisins, saffron and cashew nuts)
Wayside attractions includes:
Traditional fishing, Chinese fishing nets, Dense coconut plantations, Traditional coir making, retting process of coconut husk, neat and tiny hamlets lined up along either sides of the canals, Duck farming, water bound villages & life, Palm fringed Narrow canals, Lush green paddy fields, flocks of ducks swimming around the banks with other backwater birds and much more to take home in mind.
Facilities on Board:
Bedrooms with attached toilets (European style), spacious living area with front view, Sun-bathing bed, Well-built kitchen. Electric fan and Light facilities, Designed furniture. Clean environment with a hygienic storage hold, Free from insects and safe fuel storage facilities, 3 well experienced crew members, using good quality Linen, Toiletries, Crockery and glassware. Log books, tourist records are updated regularly And having safety equipments like, Life buoys, Life Jackets, Fire extinguishers etc
- Airport/R.Station pick up and transfer to embarkation point,
- Houseboat Cruise for 45 hours,
- Kerala’s traditional meals on board (breakfast, lunch & breakfast),
- Unlimited bottled drinking water,
- Sightseeing while cruise,
- Transfer back to airport/R. Station from the disembarkation point,
- And all taxes and service charges.
Please note: The tour can be started either from Kochi or from Kollam.
Price as per Request